You have heard about makeovers – who hasn’t? All you have to do is turn on the television and someone, somewhere, is getting a makeover of some kind. Fashion makeovers, hair makeovers. If you take the people out of the equation, even home makeovers. You don’t often see smile makeovers though. So what are they?
A smile makeover is nothing more or less than a treatment, or series of treatments that makes you feel better about your smile. Treatments could include dental implants, crowns, porcelain veneers, bonding, or something as simple as a whitening treatment. A smile makeover is not intended to improve functionality, although sometimes that is a side benefit. Conversely, a restorative treatment does not constitute a smile makeover, although sometimes restorative treatments can improve your smile.
Simple stated, a smile makeover is an elective (not necessary) treatment that makes you look better and feel better about your appearance.
What makes you unhappy about your smile? Are your teeth too small? Are they stained, discolored or misaligned? Dr. Richard Bernstein in Cherry Hill, NJ can offer a number of cosmetic procedures that can correct various problems, including:
- Unsightly Fillings – It wasn’t all that long ago that metal fillings were your only choice. Today, dentists use amalgam that resembles your natural teeth. If you have old, unsightly fillings, they can be removed and replaced using amalgam.
- Alignment and Spacing – If your teeth are gapping, overlapped or crooked, they can be corrected using braces, porcelain veneers or crowns.
- Chipping, Unevenness or Cracking – Crowns, porcelain veneers or bonding can correct these issues.
- Missing Teeth – Even a single missing tooth, depending on where it is located, can make you look old before your time. It can also affect your bite and cause an increased risk of decay to adjacent teeth. Missing teeth can be corrected by means of implants, bridgework or dentures.
- Discolored, Dull Teeth – If your teeth are dull or discolored, you might want to consider a professional whitening treatment. In serious cases, porcelain veneers or crowns can correct the problem.
Virtually any problem with the appearance of your teeth can be corrected.
Dr. Richard Bernstein is a cosmetic dentist who can work with you to develop a treatment plan that will improve your smile. He can advise you as to which treatments are most appropriate to your particular condition.
Caring for Your Cosmetic Makeover
As is the case with any dental treatment, be it cosmetic or restorative, the success of your treatment will depend on how well you care for your teeth post-treatment. Dental crowns, as an example, can fail if you don’t maintain good oral hygiene. The crowns themselves won’t decay or discolor, but if you don’t brush and floss regularly, the underlying gum and jaw structure can become compromised and your crowns could become damaged. This is also the case with veneers and implants. Take care of your cosmetic treatments and they will last for a long time.
You do not have to live with a substandard smile. If you would like to learn more, contact Dr. Richard Bernstein. Our dentist office is located at 1401 Marlton Pike W. Cherry Hill, NJ 08002, and we would love to help you with your smile makeover. Call us at 856-616-9191 or use the form on our Contact Us page.